Saturday, February 23, 2008

Adventures in Babysitting

The other day I was getting ready to take dinner over to a neighbor who had just had a baby. James and Daniel were downstairs playing Mickey Mouse Clubhouse games on the computer. I really didn't want to interrupt them, wrestle them into coats, and pile them into the car just to drive around the corner to deliver the meal. So I got a bright idea...

James has been bugging me for ways to earn some money. So I went down and told him if he would "babysit" Daniel for five minutes, I would give him a quarter. I instructed him to keep playing his computer game, don't answer the phone, and don't answer the door. Simple enough, right?

I quickly drove down the street to the neighbor's house. I was gone a little longer than I should have been...probably ten minutes. When I came home, I could hear voices downstairs. James was downstairs playing with his friend, Gardiner. Here is how our conversation went:

ME: James, how come Gardiner is here? I told you not to open the door and let anyone in while I was gone.

JAMES: I didn't open the door to let him in. I went down to Gardiner's house to get him. (Gardner lives about four houses down from us)

ME: You left the house? Where was Daniel????

JAMES: (Very causually...) I just left him here. Now can I have a dollar?

James was very bent out of shape when I told him he couldn't have a dollar. In fact, he couldn't even have that quarter we talked about. For the life of him he couldn't figure out why!! What in the world ever possessed me to think that a four year old - especially my sweet James :) - would have any concept of babysitting? Yet another "Duh" moment for Mom....

3 comments:

Natalie said...

Amy - you had me laughing out loud! Kevan even asked what I was reading. That is too funny! I loved the "where's my dollar" part. Precious times, eh??

6seals said...

oh that is SO funny! I was laughing so hard!

Angie said...

Hey, at least you can blame this "duh" moment on pregnancy. I miss being able to use that excuse!