Well, first things first. I decided I better learn how to use the wheat grinder first. Then, rather than tackling bread right off the bat, I decided to try some healthy apple cinammon muffins made with wheat flower. I had two goals at the beginning of this project. One, of course, was the muffins. What a great way to get my kids to eat a few more healthy things! And secondly, I thought it would be a fantastic little learning experience for James. I showed him the wheat kernals and talked about how they grew on a farm. Then I showed him flour that we use for baking. We looked at all parts of the mill and I explained that it would grind the wheat into flour. He was fascinated by it all and even tolerated the loud noise when I turned on the mill.
So how did this fabulous domestic/educational experience turn out? Well, when the wheat was processed, I asked James what he thought he would find inside the bowl. We opened it and peered inside. With incredible excitement James proclaimed, "Wow! It made cool dirt for me!" He leaped off the stool and ran to get his tractors to start digging. Hmmm....apparently my teaching didn't sink in very well. A few hours later, James wandered in to the kitchen to take a bite of a warm, fragrant apple muffin which he promptly declared to be "yucky!!!" Oh great...my culinary skills failed as well!!!
Not all is lost though. The muffins really did turn out great. I now have a supply of wheat flour/dirt to bake with. I'm sure we'll find something the boys will like. And in the mean time, those wheat kernals make some mighty fine gravel for a three-year-old's construction site!
2 comments:
That is hilarious! James seems to have a one track mind and can relate anything to his tractors!
How fun to hear your adventures! I am surprised the grinder noise didn't make James run for the hills. That think can really ROCK!
The flour DIRT made we totally laugh!
Post a Comment