Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Sweet Memories

Do you ever have moments when, in the middle of doing something mundane, something unexpectedly nice happens? I was in my kitchen cutting up a watermelon this afternoon. I was looking at my uneven, misshapen watermelon chunks on the counter. Suddenly, an image of perfectly square, uniformly sized melon chunks came into my mind and I heard a wonderful, familiar voice in my head saying, "Do you see those pieces of watermelon? Aren't they perfect?? Guess who cut those?" As clear as day I could hear my Grandpa Lowe boasting about his fruity handywork in his jovial, teasing way. Cutting the melon always seemed to be one of his jobs - and boy he did it well!

It truly brought a smile to my face as that memory washed over me. Grandpa has been gone for over a year, but this sweet little experience reminded me just how close he still is! (P.S. Happy Birthday Grandpa!)

3 comments:

Angie said...

I clearly remember this about him as well! I always think of him whenever I am wrapping a gift too. Remember how perfect and precise his wrapping jobs would be? (along with the grundles of tape he used!)

It's fun recalling all those great memories of Grandpa Lowe, even the small ones!!!

Jenny said...

It's crazy to me to see pictures of my dad and be reminded of Grandpa. We are so lucky to have memories!

court seal said...

That brought tears to my eyes. I thought of him yesterday too. What a great man! I miss him.