Monday, November 20, 2006

Out of the Mouth of James

Art worked some very long hours last week, leaving before the boys woke up and getting home long after they went to bed. He was missing them and feeling a little blue. When he got home around midnight on Wednesday night, he peeked in on the boys. The next morning James said to me with some concern, "Mom! Somebody comed into my room last night!" I explained to him that Daddy came in and kissed him goodnight. He thought for a minute and then grinned, "I'm sure glad it was my daddy!" It made Art's whole day when I relayed this little exchange.

Of course it's not always mushy-gushy when you talk to James these days. He's in the "brutally honest, tell-it-like-it-is" phase. This weekend as Art and James were "breaking arms" (Mullins code for wrestling on the carpet) James posed this question to his dad: "So Dad, how come you don't have lots of hair on your head like I do?" Boy - that'll make your day, won't it?!?

Now lest you think I get off unscathed from James' observations, let me share his commentary on Mom. I was getting ready Saturday morning. I was examining my face in the mirror and feeling a little frustrated with the unsightly blemishes my once-flawless skin. James piped up and said, "Hey Mom, your nose is kind of red. Your cheeks are red too. Wow - your whole face is all red!" Just what I wanted to hear!

Comments from James can melt your heart and send you straight to Cloud Nine - and then the next minute he brings you right back to reality!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a cute picture!

I have so much fun reading about your kids. James sounds like a riot. I'm sure there is never a dull moment around your house!